Although their numbers have severely decreased, wild Asian elephants are still a quite common sight in Sri Lanka, especially in the eastern part of the country. But did you know that…
- Elephants can reach a top speed of 40 km/h?
- Usain Bolt, world record holder on 100 meters, only reaches a top speed of 36 km/h on this course?
- That an elephant only covers about 30 kilometers in a day?
- Elephants spend about 16 to 18 hours a day eating?
- An elephant’s skin is an inch thick?
And did you know that…
- 3500 wild elephants are estimated to be living in Sri Lanka?
- while there were about 12.000 of them 100 years ago?
- 500 Sri Lankan elephants are domesticated and used as farm animals?